ISA COUNTRIES

The ISA Countries section of ISA InfoPedia comprises country-specific pages where ISA Members provide information on news, policies, best practices, tenders etc. Country-specific information

ISA Infopedia

ISA Countries Catalogue

The ISA Countries section of ISA InfoPedia comprises country-specific pages where ISA Members provide information on news, policies, best practices, tenders etc.

Republic of Mauritius

0.003 GW
ADD COUNTRY

Mauritius is an island state located off the southeast coast of Africa with an area of about 2,040 km2 and a population of 1.3 million.The common language is Creole. Port Louis is the capital and the largest city in Mauritius. This upper middle- income country has transitioned from an agriculture-based economy to a diversified economy comprising growing industrial, financial and tourism sectors.

Mauritius is reliant on imported petroleum and coal for its energy needs. 100 % of its population has access to electricity. The Central Electricity Board currently produces 40 % of the country's total power requirement from four thermal power stations and eight hydroelectric plants while the remaining 60 % is purchased from independent power producers using bagasse and imported coal.

The government’s energy policy encourages the use of renewable and clean energy to reduce the country’s dependence on fossil fuels and decrease greenhouse gas emissions. The government has announced plans to increase use of renewable sources of energy for electricity generation from the current 21 % to 35 % by 2025. While bagasse (sugarcane waste) remains the key source of renewable energy (89 %), Mauritius derived the remaining renewable electricity generation from hydro, wind, landfill gas, fuel wood, and solar (11 %). The Renewable Energy Strategic Plan 2018-2023 developed by the government seeks to promote renewable energy over 2018-2023.

Lying in the tropics, much of Mauritius receives almost year-round, intensive sunlight with average daily insolation of ~ 6 kWh/m2that makes solar PV energy an attractive energy option.  In his June 2018 budget speech, the Prime Minister announced several measures pertaining to the power sector, including the commissioning of six solar farms and a new scheme for small scale distribution generation (SSDG).To achieve the target of 35 % renewable energy by 2025, Mauritius plans to commission six more solar farms.  As of July 2018, 30 MW solar farms were operational and a further 80 MW were under construction.  A U.S. firm won three contracts for a total of 13MW, of which two solar farms of 2 MW each have been completed. In February 2019, the government announced the establishment of a 16 MW solar plant in the industrial zone of Solitude. The electricity produced will supply the region and the economic zone of Jin Fei and will feed electricity into the CEB national electricity grid. The project cost €20 million and was developed by Voltas Yellow Ltd.

The government is also supporting distributed solar through net metering and rebates. It launched the Home Solar Project in 2018, which includes the installation of 10,000 roof-top solar panels. The Project is being funded through a loan of USD 10 million from the Abu Dhabi Fund for Development and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), which will target 2,000 households per year. Additionally, a Green Energy scheme has been launched for SMEs for the installation of 2,000 solar PV plants of 4 MW capacities. 

Recent budgetary measures have been formulated to boost the renewable energy sector, including tax and investment incentives for individuals, SMEs and companies.

 

NFP Details: 

Dr. P.M.K.Soonarane

Director Technical Services

Ministry of Energy and Public Utilities

Tel: (+230) 405 6739

Mail: psoonarane@govmu.org

Photovoltaic Map: 
Global Horizontal Irradiation Map: 
Direct Normal Irradiation Map: 
Website

Mauritius Renewable Energy Agency (Marena)

The MARENA is responsible for the promotion of renewable energy and the creation of an environment that is propicious for its the development. 

Webpage/Web Article

Actors of the Energy Sector in Mauritius

This webpage lists all the relevant actors operating in the energy sector in Mauritius. 

Website

Central Electricity Board (CEB)

The CEB is responsible for preparing and carrying development schemes with the general object of promoting, coordinating and improving the generation, transmission, distribution and sale of electricity in Mauritius.

Website

Ministry of Energy and Public Utilities

The Ministry formulates policies and strategies in the energy, water and wastewater sectors and establishes a responsive legal framework to govern the development of these sectors.

Webpage/Web Article

Mauritius - Energy

Webpage giving information on the energy sector of Mauritius.